12 September 2019

A Birthday Prayer


It was my birthday a few days ago. We had a discreet little celebration, which began well after dark, indoors, at the Dutch Burgher Union Bar. Everyone left obediently at closing time, save for the few who had left earlier. It was delightful, and my wife and I are most grateful to all who attended.

Later, I wrote these lines.


A BIRTHDAY PRAYER

Now the day is over,
Night is coming on;
Sozzled lunchtime stragglers
Decorate the lawn.
Deaf to our entreaties,
Heedless of our threats –
It would take a hailstorm
To rid us of these pests.

How they quaffed and guzzled!
How they quacked and squawked!
Lovers rubbed and nuzzled,
Drunk raconteurs talked;
Fun was had in bagfuls,
Hospitality flowed;
Still the sots insist upon
One more for the road.

Through the dusk the bleary
Stars begin to peep;
Though I know it's early,
How I long for sleep.
Jesu, grant this weary
Birthday boy’s request:
Send away the Gadarene swine,
Let me get some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment